Saturday, September 22, 2012

Dear Friend


Dear Friend,

Last Year, July 7th 2011, I set out into the world to find more of the Lord, to see the unsaved saved, to love the unloved, grow in Friendships, discover overwhelming joys and deep hurts, become immersed in a dedicated family, and discover myself in ways I have never understood how.

My time spent in Kona last year changed my entire outlook on life, family, friends, but more so- God. I knew who God was but I had never understood Him- He, who is Great Mercy, Grace, Friend, Father, Lover, Healer, Joy, Peace, and Giver. I learned how to love people and seek Mercy- I have never experienced a time more dedicated to seeking God above all things and by this concept I in turn learned how to Love, how to forgive people close and far, and even how to forgive myself. I didn’t know I had deep hurts like I did until I spent those 3 months in Kona, YWAM… Discovering, Healing, and acting out in faith helped EMENSLEY to prepare me for a country that is so DEEPLY in need of it all…

Israel. A country hated not only by the countries surrounding it- but by all the countries in the whole world. Devastation and grief has turned the hearts of the Israeli people cold. They are immune to the warm touch of Love and Grace. In fear they rush about their day wondering what bad thing is coming after them next, what will be taken away from them next, etc… So they hoard what they have- afraid of making friendships or loving too much because the pain will be just bearable enough if they didn’t invest too much of themselves into someone or something that is fleeting quickly.

Family- the second greatest gift God has giving to us- the first gift given to Adam in the garden when God gave Eve to him as a wife. A concept taken for granted which then can sometimes become tainted and distained for the mess it can become. Family is merely the definition of “a houseful” in Israel. There is no love, no grace, and no patience for the children- not one kind word of encouragement spoken.
After seeing and feeling the discomfort of hate and fear lurking around every corner- destroying the hearts and minds of every soul God created with His own kind, loving, and adoring hands… everything I had known and found so profoundly in Kona slowly started to seam distant, faint, and unfamiliar. Prayer was my only weapon; I used it every single day. Some nights I would wake up to the sound of my own prayer uttering on my lips and hot tears forming in my eyes out of anger towards the wrath of the enemy hovering over that beautiful and Holy Country.

After three months of Loving God, Love people, and bringing the good news to the unloved like I had set out to do I returned to that beautiful Island of Kona. She was there waiting for me- applauding me in my strength, congratulating me on my success, and thanking me for my determination; so proud of me. I felt the Lord welcome me and pick me up and twirl me around as stepped onto the runway of that small airport of the island- I was home.

As I returned to Nashville, TN a week later I felt the Lord promise me that I would return to my second home of Kona, and that I was called to the community and family oriented campus of YWAM. I held on to that promise as the small plane touched ground in Nashville and promised the Lord that I would follow him all around the World and back if He asked me to and that I was willing to wait as long as I had to in order for His promises to be fulfilled. Little did I know- He was already fulfilling a promise as that plane touched ground in Nashville. The promise of a loving, God fearing, family oriented, kind, funny, and beautiful husband. 7 days later I saw him for the first time, but no trumpets were sounding or fireworks exploding at first sight- I was too concerned with following the Lords call- too much in fact that I was not going to be distracted by a cute, funny, and Godly guy. 4 months later the Lord softened my heart and opened the doors of my heart and led me to fall in love with him. A month later we were engaged. The only thing to do next was get married- we prayed day and night for a week… praying for God to tell us when, how, and where we should get married. We came together after praying about it separately and we both heard August… which only meant a three month engagement.
Many friends and family members were concerned with our time crunch- encouraging us that more time would make for a more beautiful and paid for wedding. At one point we both found ourselves so seduced by the perks of waiting a couple more months that we moved our wedding date. Not 6 hours later that day my fiancĂ©, Landon, called me convicted by the Lord for moving our wedding date. I was convicted as well- so we quickly moved the date back to August, excited for the plans God had for us… the wedding was not only 100% paid for- it was beautiful!

Security. The word I have often heard referred to as the number one need of women… I have found this to be true. I love to feel safe, loved and nurtured- but I only feel those things when I am secure in what I am doing, who I am with, and my present surroundings. My husband, my family, and my new home had it all- and it was all provided for through Landon’s and my full time job- which I was offered soon after returning home from Kona. I found my security in it because it was fun, I loved the people I was surrounded by every day, and it paid for everything I needed and a little extra for what I wanted. But the Lord is not a compromising God- and me settling and finding security in what I had was only the open door to compromising my life and the Lord’s plans away. The Lord was not only going to keep His promises to me… but hold me to mine- ‘to follow Him wherever He led me.’

Because the Lord is a gracious and loving God- I was let go from my job last week. The Lord let me know firmly that he was calling me out again, He embracing me and thanking me for serving my coworkers and bosses the way I did for the time I had and let me know that He was pleased with me. I felt peace walking out of my boss’s office last Wednesday… because I knew that the Lord was ready and waiting to get me and take me where He had planned next. Little did I know at that moment walking out of that office that Kona was merely less two weeks away… and I was going to be called out to love, serve, and learn once again.

Fear slowly started to consume my mind. I had to talk to Landon, I had to get our next move, we couldn't afford to keep living where we were on just his income. I didn't understand why all this was happening to us- what did I do wrong? On our drive home that afternoon Landon repeatedly kept affirming to me that we were going to be alright and that we just had to trust the Lord and what He was doing. I desperately ran to the computer to look for any opening as a receptionist... but I found my fingers direct me to the Kona, YWAM page instead. I started looking at all the DTS's and when they started. Landon and I had always talked about doing a DTS and all the good it would do for our relationship as a young married couple. As I was searching I found one in particular-- it was not only being lead by a couple I knew from my DTS last year, it was starting in two weeks. Landon and I thought, "hey, why not sign up- just for fun." It would cost $100 to submit the application so we didn't... An hour later we got a call... it was from Kona.

The Lord was moving... and I started to get even more afraid! How!? How were we accepted without even submitting the application?! I tried to form some kind of financial support to pay for it all up in my head... there was no solution... we couldn't go- we just couldn't! Jesus was there at that moment- He started to warm my heart and tell me that it was all going to be paid for. HOW?! I had just lost my job. Landon was overwhelmed with Joy, he kept saying, "Bekah! This is what we have been praying for every night! For God to close doors and open doors for us to do His will! He will provide, I feel it- I know the money is there." I was still unsure but I knew that this was our answered prayer.

Landon felt that he should put his car up for sale on craigs list that following Sunday... He got a call asking to see it only 3 hours later. God was moving... It was confirmation after confirmation after that.. We had both our families blessings as well as our church's blessing to go- to do this!

God wants us in Kona again. I don't know why- but I do believe that it has to be a pretty big reason. So we are heading out this Thursday. No money to pay for tuition... only the plane ticket. But God has us in this moment- I know He will provide- and I am excited to see God work through me and Landon these next 6 months.


A Warrior for the King,


Rebekah McCall



*If you the Lord calling you to support me and Landon or feel called to giving toward our mission trip please call me at 615-636-6079 or donate online by clicking the donate button.

No comments:

Post a Comment