Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Looking Through Heaven's Eyes

The other day I got off the train and as I was walking home I saw three little Arab boys sitting against the fence that separates the street from the sidewalk. I heard really loud crying coming from one of them and as I got closer I saw it was coming from the smallest boy. He looked like he was around 6 years old and had snot and drool running down his face onto his school uniform. I wondered what was wrong? The older boys (around 7 and 8) weren't crying so I thought, "Hmmm, maybe their parents are running late picking them up from school and he's just sad that they forgot him." So I carried on, assuming everything was alright.

I presumed to walk up the hill but I felt like something was wrong... So, I craned my neck at them one last time to double check that the little boy was ok... But as I did, I saw the older boy get up, stand over the little boy crying, and pull a thick rubber whip from behind him and started whip-lashing the younger boy underneath his thigh as hard as he could. I was in SHOCK! I stopped, turned around, and assumed the adults walking by would see it and stop him, but they DIDN'T! They just walked on by acting as if they didn't see anything- they didn't CARE! Enraged at what I was seeing I started toward the boy striking the little one- staring straight into his eyes. He stopped when he saw I was approaching. My breath quickened and became heavy. With rage welling in my throat I intended rip the rubber whip from him and scream at him, "How could you do that?! Look at your brother!" ...but instead... The closer I got to him the more I felt Jesus. I was so mad! I asked Him, "Lord! What do I say, what do I do to stop this boy from ever harming another person again?!" He didn't answer. When I was finally close enough to do what I intended to do... I couldn't. All I could do was look into this boy's eyes. I wanted to pick the little boy up, hold him, and tell him that I would never let anyone ever hurt him again. I wanted turn the whip on the one who's eyes I was looking into... I looked up, teary from the amount of anger I had toward the boy and the adults who had walked by ignoring the cries of the one being tormented. My leader, Chris Chun, stood in front of me.. I could tell he had just seen what I had and all I could squeeze out was, "we have to do something." He looked at the boy with the whip and told him not to do that anymore. The boys could only speak Arabic... but I think they got the message. As we reluctantly turned to walk away I noticed people were looking at us as if we were strange for talking to the boy about what he had done... It made me so angry! And as we made our way back up the hill all I could think was... "what if he starts hitting him again after we turn the corner?" The realization hit me that I will never be able to prevent that little boy from ever being abused again for the rest of his life. This thought still torments me.

This place... all I know to do is be. Breathe. Take in as much Jesus as I can. Learn. Discover. Love- even when people don't deserve it. When I try to describe what Israel is like to people back home- I'm afraid people wont understand what I see. The loud, rude, and religious people... The dirty streets and dust clouds consuming the air... All I can see is family and community. All I can see is the Holy City of my King! Yes, that boy was doing a sick thing to his brother... but he is still SO LOVED by my God and still so pursued by the Lover of my soul. 

How am I doing? I feel like one of the most blessed people on the face of the earth. This group of people around me, this family, they make all the grey days worth while. They encourage me to chase after Jesus with all I have. They challenge me. They speak life into me. They tell me who I am in the Lord. I never knew prayer was such an amazing weapon! Intercession for this land is what empowers us to fight agains principalities and not flesh and blood. 

I am learning so much. Patience and peace holds me. I have never gone this long without any anxiety or frustration consuming me. The lies that I have believed over myself for years are all melting away... I don't even recognize who I was 4 months ago. I am so thankful for GOD! I am so thankful for all the people who have believed in me and have invested in me this past year. I love you all so so so much. Thank you for keep up with me and caring about me. God is SO GOOD! 

A Warrior for the King,
Bekah




No comments:

Post a Comment