Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day Four

Its been a good day here in Kona. I just got back from a 2 hour long walk to and from Walmart with my new friend Alexandra. We treated ourselves to some Starbucks on our way back. 

Im sitting on my bed watching some parasailers as I write this:) 

I asked God, on my way to my kitchen duty, to show me something about Him today... or to at least speak to me in some way... 

The kitchen is run by Silas. He is a middle aged Brazilian and is working very hard at learning english (he is hard to understand at times because he forgets simple describing words like "under" or "behind"). He is extremely driven- he likes things to be perfect and if things aren't perfect he will send you back to do it over again. He is really funny when he is content- all of us DTS students work just to keep him happy and content:) When he is not content, he is very unhappy and stressed.

I was put in charge of washing dishes as people finished their meal. It was during this when I realized something for the first time... I was paying- a lot of money!- to come here and do some hard and tiring chores.... I wasn't mad or upset, mostly because I knew I would have work duty before I came here, its just that I dissected the reality of it for the first time... Then, the more I thought about it, I finally understood why everyone handing me their dirty dishes were so thankful and nice to me! They all knew I was working hard for nothing! It was during one of Silas's unhappy moments that I was wondering what lessons will come out of having a work duty. I wondered what they were trying to teach us? Were they trying to make us stressed and tired so they could brain wash us like Josiah's Navy camp? 

In mid thought, this lady walked through the dish rack line and said, "Thank you! May you have a double portion...." A double portion of what?! What the heck did that mean?! I have had that said to me SO MANY TIMES, especially after I find myself working overtime without pay, and I had NO EARTHLY IDEA what it meant! 

At the end of the shift Silas walked us around the kitchen showing us where we screwed up and where we did very well. Then he said something that meant a lot to me.... "I want you all to grow up to be responsible- I want you all to desire to please others. But more, I want you to be strong and desire perfection for the sake of making others comfortable. It hurts me when I see young women and men disrespecting themselves and others. This is why you work all day- so you that you can begin a pattern of doing this without getting anything in return except warm hearts and a blessing from the Lord." 

I went to my room and googled a "double portion...." It basically means "a double anointing from God," or "a double blessing." I wonder what else God wants to give me? He is giving me a good work ethic, He is giving me patience, He is giving me peace and taking away anxiety. Right now... all I want is His voice. 

A Warrior for the King,
Bekah

3 comments:

  1. love this! made me think- thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hearing your heart! Your honesty, sincerity and brokenness stirs my own heart - spurring me on to desire the same humility before our God and King!...that simple, child-like, pure wanting to know Him. One of the Elders at my church defines worship as "responding to the revelation of Jesus" - what you have shared, has led me to worship. Thank you! :)

    You've come from a lot of "sound" around you here (not noise that is bad, necessarily, but sound of lots of people and things going on - including culture you're used to). God may be waiting - urging on the deeper silence for you there, 'til your faith - like roots searching for water -seek Him out alone, because nothing else will satisfy. And then...the double portion will be given to you - the "MORE than you could have ever known to ask or imagine" (Eph.)...the parts of God that He shares with those who seek Him alone.

    love you, Bekah! - SO MUCH! Praying for you often, as God leads.

    If you get a chance to post your address, I'd love to write to you! - like a real letter!! :D

    love,
    Davita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks you guys for your comments! it means a lot!!! :)

    Hey Davita! Here is my address:)

    University of the Nations
    75-5851 Kuakini Highway
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    96740-2199 USA

    ReplyDelete